Thanksgiving dinner concluded with these Sugar Cream Pies, a tasty departure from the usual pumpkin. Super easy to make as long as the transfer into the oven is slowly and carefully done.
- 2 unbaked pie crusts (frozen is fine)
- One or two cookie sheets (or similar)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cups Half-and-Half
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the pie crusts on the cookie sheet(s), lined with foil or parchment if desired. The cookie sheet will avoid small spills making a large mess.
- In a small bowl:
- Whisk the egg yolks
- Add the Half-and-Half and stir together
- In a large bowl:
- Whisk the sugar, flour and salt
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla, and completely blend
- Add the contents of small bowl and lightly stir together
- Pour the filling evenly into the pie crusts.
- Ever so carefully, place the cookie sheet/pies into the oven.
- Bake for 75 minutes. The top should be golden and rise above the edge of the crust. Note that the filling will still jiggle.
- Cool to room temperature then refrigerate for at least two hours.