A couple months back I was trying to figure out why smart-phones couldn't setup new email accounts. A problem with smart-phones and tablets is you can't see what's really going on under the covers like you can with PC's and Mac's. After some trial and error, I ended up with the following setup.
- I logged on to my home Mac using Chrome Remote Desktop from my Windows work desktop
- I installed the Bluestacks Android emulator on the Mac
- I installed the 30-day free trial of the Touchdown email app under Bluestacks
- I ran the Wireshark packet capture program on the Mac
- I tried to setup a new email account in Touchdown
- I analyzed the Wireshark packet capture to see what was failing, gaining the needed insight
This is what a good day at work looks like.
Chrome Remote Desktop > http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2011/10/chrome-remote-desktop.html
Bluestacks > http://www.bluestacks.com/
Wireshark > https://www.wireshark.org/
Touchdown > http://www.nitrodesk.com/androidplatform.html